Do you know how to interpret Kolbe scores, and how to use them to build a strong team?
Today we are continuing our conversation on the Kolbe assessment. I’m speaking with Eryn Morgan, and we are going to focus the conversation on how to use the info that we get from Kolbe to build your team.
If you’ve been looking at the Director of Operations (DOO) certification program, I’d like to invite you to an upcoming informational session, “Discovering the DOO.” If you are curious what the program is like, what results look like, what the process looks like, join us to discover the DOO program on October 19th.
Eryn Morgan is a Kolbe Certified™ Business Consultant (4 4 8 3) who helps CEOs of creative businesses strengthen their leadership skills so they can sustainably grow their companies. She believes that cookie cutters belong in bakeries, so she partners with her clients to create customized solutions that match their goals and their Kolbe strengths. Eryn uses industry-leading conative tools, blended with her decades of real-life experience, quickstart adaptability, and laser-focused improvisational teaching style to help each client increase their company productivity and profitability. To get connected with Eryn, visit her website at ErynMorgan.com and grab your copy of her CEO Checklist. With it you’ll quickly identify the small shifts you can make today that will put you on the road to becoming a clearer, more powerful decision maker and CEO.
What is your background with Kolbe, and how do you use it today?
- When she first discovered the Kolbe it was through the world of sales, which was a very tangible, scientific way to understand sales (which was a scary topic for her)
- Over time working with entrepreneurs she started to see all of the ways she could apply the Kolbe to problems they were having
- She used it for years, then ended up getting certified so she could use it especially for teams
Can you explain what conative means?
- Conative ability is all about your instinctive way of making decisions and ting action, how you approach problems and your creative process
- She likes to see how consistent this is over time
- You can know how your conative ability and strengths will interplay with others
- Unlike your personality that can shift and change, your conative abilities stays the same
“When somebody understands their Kolbe score, they can know how to approach a problem in a way that will give them a very consistent outcome.” – Eryn Morgan
“If I can find someones innate ability and it matches the need that the company has, we are going to reach ROI with a lot better precision” – Natalie Gingrich
Kolbe as it relates to a DOO:
- We see high numbers with initiators and fact finders
- We all have conative energy in each of the 4 modes
- A DOO needs to pull all the pieces together and put it in a system that everyone can understand and work from
- Every time she looks at a certain match, she tries to think about who the people are that this DOO is mostly going to interplay with and tries to match the scores so that they will bring all the conative strengths to the table
Is there an instance where you would match people who have more than a 4 point difference on the quick start scale?
- If there is a really great facilitator
- When someone has gotten so good at creating boundaries and working with quick start initiating clients, and you can learn to anticipate
What is some advice for DOOs who are trying to build teams? How can we leverage Kolbe when we are putting out job descriptions?
- She loves to have her clients start by really defining what the role is. What are the important human traits needed? What defines the work? What does success look like?
- You cannot change the person, you can only change the role
- It becomes a different kind of search; you aren’t looking for unknowns, you are now looking for something you already identified
- It all comes back to clarity of the role
- You have to find the person who is interested in growing a synergistic team
“When it comes to teams, we aren’t guessing… we have tools inside the Kolbe universe that allow us to test and measure” — Eryn Morgan
How else can a DOO use the info we get from the Kolbe as a team leader?
- The Kolbe allows you to bring compassion to people
- You can understand someone on a totally different level and realize the gifts they have, and how they could cooperate in a team environment
- Brings curiosity to the table by asking how we can reframe weaknesses
- She does a lot of work with subtypes
“The Kolbe gives us a tool to decode people in a way that lends us to be more compassionate and understanding about how someone is innately wired to be”–Eryn Morgan
How do you work with clients?
- Communicates through email list which is grouped by Kolbe score
- Get on a call so she can find out what is happening in your company that is causing stress
- Figure out if she is the right fit for you
- Has a special way to take the Kolbe A and learn more about what makes your conative strengths so unique
Connect with Eryn
Previous Episodes Mentioned
Join the Ops Insiders Facebook Community:
Other Ways to Connect with Me: