Do you wonder how graduates of the Director of Operations (DOO) certification program are utilizing the knowledge that they’ve gained from the program?
Subscribe to the podcast here
Today we have a special guest, a former student of the DOO certification program who shares her journey, Amber Glus.
I want to invite you to our upcoming info session Test Drive the DOO. In this 90 minute session, you will learn all about what a Director of Operations is, what kind of work they do, if certification is right for you, gain a clear understanding of the curriculum, and learn the ways we set you up to get a return on investment. Join us on Oct 11th!
Sometimes in business, entrepreneurs feel like they’re managing chaos instead of a business. Amber is a profitability strategist who helps businesses be more profitable and productive, so their profit increases and their business runs more efficiently. Amber is a certified Director of Operations (DOO) and a Business Made Simple Coach with 20 years of experience in business operations and marketing strategy. Amber has worked with elected officials, multiple national brands, and many small businesses in between. She’s a wife, breast cancer survivor, and lover of all things coffee who has a passion for helping busy entrepreneurs make their businesses easier to run.
What do your past business experiences look like?
- She has done operations for over 20 years (but didn’t know it the whole time)
- She started in media relations and politics
- Was a press secretary to Colorado’s lieutenant governor
- Ran political campaigns as a field manager
- Lots of marketing strategy experience
- She got tired of politics, then went into corporate America for 15 years starting as a marketing assistant and ended up as a director of franchise sales and marketing for a national franchise system
- Had no idea she was in “operations” until she found the DOO certification program
- Left her job because she found the opportunity to be an entrepreneur and wanted to see if it was a good fit
- Started as a copywriter, but didn’t like it because it was implementation
- Found the DOO certification program and it was a great fit
- She is currently a fractional DOO, and is also dabbling into the consulting realm
“Of all the things I’ve done… there have only been a few that really stand out to me as impacting my business, and this [program] is at the top of the list.” -Amber Glus
What was the biggest takeaway from the DOO certification program?
- Hard to pick just one… but the Strategic Mapping Model™ is at the top of the list
- Knew she had several skillsets she was good at, and wanted to utilize them all
- It helped her see how she could take all of those pieces of a business and really become a strategic operational leader
“[Strategic Mapping™] helped me understand how to bring everything I knew how to do into one powerful project that could help me help businesses.” -Amber Glus
“We help take everything that is in their minds and put it on paper, and put an action plan behind it, but we marry it to the vision they have for the business.” -Amber Glus
Where did you take your business after graduating from the Director of Operations (DOO) certification program?
- She is a fractional DOO
- She is now upleveling and taking on consulting
- Starting to be able to identify what she really loves, and will craft her offerings around this
- The program gave her the confidence to be a strategic leader in a business
- Prior to the program she would have been afraid to tell a CEO what was not a good idea
“I would not have been able to manage up and manage down prior to this program. I was only able to be managed before I went through this program and I have so much more confidence now in myself as a leader to help a CEO truly move the needle forward in their business.” – Amber Glus
What advice would you give to someone who is on the fence?
- Please do it!
- This is for you if you feel like you are tired of being an implementer and have more to offer
- It is a big investment, but she was able to make her money back in 3-4 months, and had doubled it by the end of the program
Weekly Ops Activity
What was your biggest takeaway from this episode? Share it with us in the Facebook group!
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app.
Join the Ops Insiders Facebook Community:
Other Ways to Connect with Me:
Private Facebook Community
Share with your biz bestie