Is setting goals a priority in your business? Are you too busy setting goals for others, and often overlook your own business plans?
Subscribe to the podcast here
We are just getting ready to start the Scope Creep Solution, a 5 day experience that will allow you to get a really good grip on your project management. Scope creep can make you second guess yourself and feel defeated… but I am here to give you a 5-day actionable plan to help you improve that. Sign up before we kick off on Nov 16, and get your amazing workbook. I look forward to seeing you there!
Today my guest is Catherine Calmes, a certified Director of Operations (DOO) who helps online business owners by providing operational planning and team leadership so that their businesses can run efficiently. She uses her background in home organizing, workplace productivity and her managerial experience to help them make the vision for their business a true reality.
She has had several different careers plus still works part time in corporate, and she uses all of those skills to make a business that suits her. Catherine enjoys helping her clients break their goals and ideas down into actionable tasks, assign the work to their team, and communicate clearly to move forward.
Meet Catherine Calmes
We are here to discuss Catherine’s expertise in operations, setting goals, and what it looks like to attain those goals. We are so used to helping others set goals, and it’s often hard to turn the mirror back on ourselves.
- Certified DOO, and runs Calmes Consulting
- Started her first business as a home organizer
- Also worked a corporate job making maps for the oil and gas industry, but noticed she had a lot of planning and organizing skills that weren’t being utilized, and felt unfulfilled in that
- Found a part time job as an assistant to a wedding planner which led to joining a professional organizing group
- Attended a conference and found out about virtual home organizing, so she transitioned her business online and started organizing for people who owned businesses
- As she grew her knowledge in the online space, she joined coaching programs and became a tech VA, then grew into a role as an OBM
- Found the Director of Operations certification program
Who do you work with now?
- Specializes in helping business coaches
- Knows a lot about the behind-the-scenes of coaching because of her experience with her first client
- Has a particular soft spot for moms who are business coaches
How has your visibility journey been?
- Initially was not confident in this, so she hired a coach
- Helped her with confidence and got her to do live streams
- Believes we spend so much times behind the scenes as operators, but realized it is important to get information out about how people can grow their business and benefit from knowledge of operations
How do you work with your clients in regards to goal setting?
- Have 2 main options
- Self Guided Metrics and Management Workshop: Includes a video, spreadsheets and worksheets which teach about Key Performance Indicators (KPIs); how you can create KPIs, track them, and use them to grow your business.
- Prepare, Plan, and Profit Intensive: Works with clients to prepare mission, vision, and values, create goals, and a strategic plan.
What are common goals that we need to set in our businesses?
- Need to think about more than just money
- Dig deeper and ask “why?” Money is great, but what is the vision behind your business, and how does that relate to your goals?
Can you give a real-life example of KPIs for one of your clients?
- 20% growth in the number of leads each month
- Acquire 4 new clients into coaching program each week
- Increase revenue by X%
How do you come up with the specific numbers for the KPI?
- First start with your goal: if they want to get 20 new clients/month, you need to break it down and figure out how you will measure it
- Goal of 20/month divided by weeks in a month will tell you how many you need to be on track
- Recommends looking at the numbers based on how often you are measuring (if measuring quarterly, look each month; if measuring monthly, look each week)
- Recommends creating a dashboard to track progress (there is also a tracker in the Metrics and Management workshop)
How many KPI metrics do you usually track?
- Depends on the size of your business, and if you’ve been tracking KPIs before
- If you’ve never tracked anything before, start with one
- People often look at vanity metrics when it comes to social media, but that doesn’t always translate to profit
What do you do when you personally meet your goals?
- That is when she knows she needs to set new goals; the vision for your business is always moving and changing so you need to adjust
- Celebrates by sharing it with here husband
- Usually treats herself to something; for example she just booked out one of her offerings and ordered a new desk in celebration
“The emotional part of attaining a goal is so important… it’s cathartic and motivating.” –Natalie Gingrich
Operations can help people become business leaders by using business data. We can take this operational goodness and turn it into an opportunity to serve other people with our gifts. I hope you took away a lot from this episode.
Join the Scope Creep Solution: November 16-20, 2020
We are just about to open up the application period for round 7 of the Director of Operations Certification Program. I firmly believe that project management is one of those skills that every DOO needs to have and already possesses, but it doesn’t mean that there aren’t challenges in that space.
And that’s what I’m going to walk you through in the Scope Creep Solution. By participating, you will get a good feel of how I teach, what type of information you will receive, and the type of community that you will get when you come into the program. It all begins with the Scope Creep Solution, and I cannot wait to see you there!
Weekly Ops Activity
Come over to the Ops Insiders Facebook group and share one metric that reflects your success that is not financial.
Connect with Catherine Calmes
Catherine is a Certified Director of Operations who helps online business owners by providing operational planning and team leadership so their business can run efficiently. She uses her background in home organizing, workplace productivity, and managerial experience to help make the vision for your business a reality.
Catherine enjoys helping her clients break their goals and ideas down into actionable tasks, assign that work to their team, and communicate clearly to move forward.
Catherine’s goal is for you to be able to accomplish more in less time so that you can scale your business to the next level. Your business will flow with ease and you will feel confident about what your team can accomplish.
By making plans, responsibilities, and deadlines clear, teams can be empowered to deliver great results and Catherine is here to help.
Lead to Succeed
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app.
Join the Ops Insiders Facebook Community:
Other Ways to Connect with Me:
Private Facebook Community
Share with your biz bestie